Some random facts of no particular import
This website used to be more fun when I had actual time to spend on it. It'll
be a while before that happens again.
While you wait on actual content, please enjoy this Grade A cut-and-pasting from
my last website, seasoned lightly with update sauce.
- Once upon a time, I was Krista Bennett. Now the name just sounds weird to me.
- I've lived all over the US and in a few other countries: Utah, Texas, South Carolina, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Wisconsin, California, Indiana, the Netherlands, France, and (currently) Germany.
- If I had to pick any of those places to go back to and stay, it'd be Amsterdam or Milwaukee. Lovely, lovely places.
- My marginal "home" is Wisconsin, though I haven't been back in a long while.
- I was named after a Playboy Playmate. Seriously. Not kidding. Clearly wishful thinking on my parents' part.
- Then again, my mother was a beauty queen. Really.
- My Erdős number is 3. This should make up for the wishful thinking, but it doesn't really.
- I play a lot of video games. More than I should. And I have
since I was old enough to drop quarters into a machine. Go ahead, tell me about
adulting... I'll be over here killing Reapers.
- I once put Mass Effect jokes into a data structures exercise for my
students. They asked me if I'd actually played it, or just heard about it from
colleagues. They maaaaay have gotten a lesson in nerdery as a result.
- I've written five novels, and have more in various stages of writing. Someday, I'll get the nerve up to try to publish them. No, really.
- I was a music major when I started college. I still miss it desperately.
- I've been many things : data entry monkey, preschool teacher, au pair, programmer, engineer, screwed-up college dropout, doctoral fellow, instructor, food service worker, research assistant, tourist shop clerk, etc.
- None of these things were as hard or as wonderful as being Mama.
- Everyone asks linguists how many languages they speak. This is because people confuse "linguist" with "polyglot", which is silly.
- For the record, I speak two languages fluently - English (my native language) and German (which gives me headaches) - and can use many others with varying degrees of competence.
- I used to speak fluent Spanish, pretty good Dutch, and passable French. I would probably have gotten arrested using my Japanese or Italian, and probably could have told Thor I was not a giant in Old Norse/Icelandic. I remember more with beer and the right mindset.
- I used to live in Munich with my lovely husband, Christian, and our amazing son. Germany drives me crazy about half of the time, but this is mostly due to nosy older people. I'm hoping I'll get over it.
- I now live in Munich without my lovely husband or my amazing son, but
this situation is not forever. Distance is awful. They're in France, doing French
things. Primarily baguette-related things.
- I am an advocate of the Oxford comma, but I always feel naughty when I use it.
- For English-speakers, you can pronounce my last name as "GROAT-hawf". As in
the Hoff. Full of groats. "Bennett" may have been easier to say, but everyone
still spelled it wrong.
- Yes, I left the US on purpose. No, I don't plan to return. I even gave up my citizenship. Maybe someday I'll explain why in detail, but for now:
- I'm not naïve
- I'm not idealistic about the whole thing : Germany isn't utopia
- I'm not some sort of traitor (why do Americans always jump to that conclusion?)
- I'm very happy with my socialist health care, six weeks of vacation, and social services, thank you
- I'm really worried about you guys. Things have really gone off the rails back home. You all need to get your shit together, stop listening to Fox News, and fix things. And seriously, get off the whole light bulb thing. No one's stealing your precious bodily fluids.
- I've become terribly boring in my old age. Unless, of course, you make me laugh while I'm eating cheese soup. Then I'm boring, but there's likely to be cheese soup shooting out of my nose, which has to score me a couple of points.
- I've finally seen Big Bang Theory, but not enough to see Evil Wil Wheaton, which was my only reason to watch in the first place. So seriously. STOP ASKING.
- I suppose I'll have to upgrade this list sooner-or-later, or, you know, add
actual content. A girl can dream...